Aesthetics and Mathematics, 9-10 November 2007
- Set theory and set-theoretic model theory.
- Foundations and philosophy of mathematics.
- History of Logic.
Advanced topics in set theory,
Elements of Set Theory,
Linear algebra I,
Reading Seminar: "Phenomenology and Mathematics". We will begin by discussing Husserl's "The Origin of
Axiomatic set theory,
Axiomatic set theory II.
- Arithmetic: Lecture notes.
Topology I (Spring 2010), Set Theory Seminar (Spring 2010).
Axiomatic Set Theory (Spring 2011),
Recent and upcoming invited talks
- "Logical pluralism and meaning variance in the set-theoretic context". Seminar talk, Cambridge University, January 19, 2012.
- "Change the Logic, Change the Meaning? Quine's Dictum and the Case of Set Theory". Seminar talk, Oxford University, January 24, 2012, abstract.
- "Geometry and Paradoxes of Place: Reflections on the Art of Gabriel Orozco". Helsinki Art Aademy (Kuvataideakatemia), February 11, 2012.
- "The Grundlagenstreit of the 1920s: What was (and is) the controversy?" History seminar, Institute for Advanced Study, March 5,
- "Inner models and extended logics". MAMLS logic workshop, CUNY, March 9, 2012.
- "Inner models and extended logics". School of Mathematics, Institute for Advanced Study, April 4, 2012.
- "On some new inner models for set theory" University of Chicago, April 24, 2012.
- "Change the logic, change the meaning? Logical Pluralism and the case of set theory." Notre Dame, April 30, 2012.
- "On Formalism Freeness", Turing Centennial Meeting, Hariri Institute, Boston University, November 11, 2012.
- "Les Mots et Les Choses: Reading Gödel on Formalization" CUNY Graduate Center Philosophy Colloquium, December 5th, 2012.
- On regular reduced products, with Saharon Shelah,
Journal of Symbolic Logic, Volume 67, Number 3, Sept. 2002.
On embedding models of arithmetic into reduced powers,
8th Workshop on Logic, Language, Informations and Computation---WoLLIC'2001
Mat. Contemp. 24 (2003), 91--115.
- On embedding models of arithmetic of
cardinality aleph_1 into reduced powers, with Saharon Shelah,
Fundamenta Mathematicae, Volume 176, Issue 1, 2003. (dvi,
On the Philosophical Development of Kurt Gödel, with Mark van Atten,
Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, Volume 9, Issue 4, December 2003. pages 425-476.
- More on regular reduced products, with Saharon Shelah,
Journal of Symbolic Logic, Volume 69, Issue 4, December 2004.
- Gödel's Modernism: On Set-Theoretic Incompleteness, with Mark van Atten,
Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal, volume 25, number 2, 289--349, 2004
- Incompleteness - A Book Review,
Notices of the American Mathematical Society April 2006,
- On Applications of Transfer Principles in Model Theory, with Jouko Väänänen,
in Set Theory: Recent Trends and Applications (A. Andretta ed.),
Quaderni di Matematica, vol 17, 2007, 111-136.
- Kurt Gödel,
An entry in the
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2007.
- Logic Unfettered: European and American Abstraction Now,
Museumbrief, Mondrian House Publications, 2007.
- Review of “Kurt Gödel: Das Album”,
by Sigmund, Dawson and Mühlberger,
The Mathematical Intelligencer vol. 29, issue 3, pp. 73-75, 2007.
- Regular Ultrafilters and Finite Square Principles, with Saharon Shelah, and Jouko Väänänen,
Journal of Symbolic Logic 73(2), 2008, 817-823.
- On Gödel's Logic, with Mark van Atten,
The Handbook of the History of Logic, volume 5, Elsevier, 2009, 449-509.
- Gödel's Modernism: On Set Theoretic Incompleteness, Revisited, with Mark van Atten,
in Logicism, Intuitionism and Formalism: What has become of them?,
edited by Sten Lindström, E. Palmgren, K. Segerberg, and V. Stoltenberg-Hansen, Springer, 2009, 303-356.
- Review of the Princeton Companion to Mathematics, T. Gowers, ed.,
Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, vol 15(4), December 2009, 431-436.
- Book Review: Matti Kujasalo, Galerie Anhava Publications, 2010. Taide ja Design, 10 (2010) 212--213.
- Review of The Autonomy of Mathematical Knowledge by Curtis Franks, Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, vol. 17(1), 119-122, March, 2011.
- Set Theory, Arithmetic, and Foundations of Mathematics Edited by: Juliette Kennedy, University of Helsinki, and Roman Kossak, City University of New York, Cambridge University Press, Lecture Notes in Logic 36, 2011.
- Fred Sandback, Taide and Design, 11 (February 2011), 40-47.
- Interview with Andy Goldsworthy, Taide and Design, 13 (July 2011), 47-53.
- Andy Goldsworthy, Pori Art Museum Publications, July 2011, pp. 18-72.
- Can the Continuum Hypothesis be Solved?, The Institute Letter, Institute for Advanced Study, Fall 2011.
- Gödel's Thesis--An Appreciation, in Horizons of Truth, Proceedings of the Gödel Centenary, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Hilbert's Twenty-fourth Problem: On the Aesthetic of Simplicity in Mathematics. Arkadia Gazette, Helsinki, January 2012.
- Set Theory, Classical and Constructive,
Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, volume 163, issue 10, pages 1359-1446 (October 2012).
Guest editor with Jaap van Oosten.
Invited papers from the meeting of the same name in Amsterdam, May 6-7, 2010.
Regular Ultraproducts at Regular Cardinals, with S. Shelah, and J. Väänänen, Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, to appear.
- On Formalism Freeness: Implementing Gödel's 1946 Princeton Bicentennial Lecture, Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, December 2013.
- Interpreting Gödel, edited volume, Cambridge University Press, to appear.
- Gödel's 1946 Princeton Bicentennial Lecture: An Appreciation, to appear.
Recent and Upcoming Curatorial Projects
- Exhibition: Logic Unfettered: European and American Abstraction Now. Mondriaan Huis, Amersfoort, Netherlands, November 2, 2007 to April 12, 2008.
Review in NY Arts/Art Fairs International, September 2008, vol.13, #7/8, pp. 22-23: Notes on "Logic Unleashed - European and American Abstraction Now" at Mondrian House by Marek Bartelik.
- Exhibition: Fred Sandback at Pori. Pori Art Museum,
Pori, Finland. February 4 - May 29, 2011. Review in Helsingin Sanomat 24.2.2011 Section C3, and in ARTFORUM
- Exhibition: Andy Goldsworthy. Pori Art Museum,
Pori, Finland. June 10 - September 4, 2011. Review in Helsingin Sanomat 11.6.2011
- Exhibition: Silent Watch: Contemporary Prints from Finland. IPCNY, New York, September 15 - October 27, 2011. Toured to Elaine L. Jacob Gallery at Wayne State University.
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki,
tel. (+358-9)-191-51446, fax (+358-9)-191-51400